Kale has been on the top of the food trends list for the past few years, and I hope it stays that way. I love me some dark, leafy greens! It took a while but I’m now officially 100% on board. Raw kale might sound kind of intimidating, but trust me on this one: raw kale salads will change your life!
Baby kale is a little sweeter and more tender than its grownup counterpart. If you can’t find baby kale, by all means, use whatever you can find. The larger leaves just need to be removed from the touch stems and cut (or torn) into smaller pieces. You can massage the leaves with a little lime or lemon juice to soften them up a bit.
I love adding fresh fruit to salad. It’s a great way to add some fun colors and textures – and a little sweetness, of course. The jewel tones of blood oranges, blueberries and pomegranate seeds are so pretty with dark green kale. I always say that I love pretty food – and it’s true! We eat with our eyes too. A pretty salad feels like an enjoyable treat instead of boring, healthy food.
These fruits are also in the super food category. Anything with those dark colors means it’s full of antioxidants and nutrients to boost our immune systems. Plus, honestly, they taste so good! So why not?
- For salad:
- 4 cup baby kale or chopped kale leaves
- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
- small handful of whole mint leaves
- For dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh mint, sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon honey (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- Prepare dressing first. Whisk together orange juice and zest, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and pinch sea salt in a small bowl. Add the fresh mint and stir. Set aside.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the kale and toss well to coat. Transfer the kale to a serving platter. There will be extra dressing at the bottom of the bowl; reserve it.
- Arrange the orange slices over the dressed kale. Top with the blueberries and pomegranate seeds, and extra mint leaves.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing, if desired, and serve immediately.