Here on Hello Glow, we believe that beauty starts on the inside. Nourishing your body with nutrient-rich foods doesn’t just make you feel better—a healthy diet shows on the outside too, with clearer skin, shinier hair, and that overall glow you get from treating yourself right. Just like our moms always told us when we were growing up: you are what you eat.
This is the idea behind The Moon Juice Cookbook—feeding your body the best foods leads to better health, naturally. The recipes rely upon organic raw ingredients, good fats, minerals, probiotics and a variety of amino acids; many are low glycemic and gluten-free as well. Juices, smoothies and shakes are well-represented here, along with homemade yogurts, cheese and kefir, fermented foods and desserts.
The Beauty Latte recipe below is packed with antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids and minerals to add shine to hair and suppleness to skin. Although it calls for homemade coconut milk, you can swap that out for store-bought in a pinch; just be sure it’s full-fat (not light!) and BPA-free.
- 12 ounces Lait de Coco (see below for recipe)
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 2 teaspoons lucuma powder
- ¼ teaspoon pearl powder
- ½ teaspoon ground schisandra berries
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or coconut sap, or 1 drop of stevia for a low-glycemic version
- 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon tocotrienols
- Gently warm the Lait de Coco in a saucepan over low heat, without allowing it to simmer. Carefully pour it into a blender. Add the rose water, lucuma, pearl, schisandra, sweetener, and oil. Blend on high for 20 seconds or until warm and frothy. Pour into a mug and serve topped with the tocotrienols.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup young Thai coconut meat (one 5x2-inch strip), fresh or frozen
- 4 cups water
- Pinch pink salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, about 45 seconds This milk will have a nice “cream on top” when cold, so shake and stir to evenly distribute.