Is there anything more comforting at the end of a cold, wintry day than a steaming bowl of soup? Add some crusty bread and a glass of wine and I’m sold. This caramelized onion and chickpea soup makes a hearty, rich dinner that’s quite simple to prepare – despite its fancy name!Chickpeas aren’t common in onion soups, but they provide an affordable protein boost. And, along with the parsnips, they contribute to the soup’s thick and creamy texture. Each serving is a good dose of veggies and legumes, but the sweet flavor makes them go down easy. What does that mean? Kids will enjoy it too!
Soup often makes it into my weeknight dinner rotation because it comes together easily. Aside from a few minutes spent at the cutting board, this soup mostly cooks itself (and makes the house smell lovely while it simmers away). Easy enough for a Monday night, but delicious enough for a Friday night with company too.
Caramelized Onion and Parsnip Soup with Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup cream or Greek yogurt
- fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the onions and sugar and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the wine and parsnips and simmer covered for 20 minutes, or until onions and parsnips are tender.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas. Cool slightly, then use a submersion blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- Drizzle with cream and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
5 Day Meal Plan
Caramelized Onion and Chickpea Soup, recipe above
Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza via How Sweet Eats
Apple Cider Sage Pork Chops with Caramelized Apples via Good Life Eats
Vegetarian Quinoa Chili with Kale and Red Beans via Some the Wiser
Poblano Chilaquiles Casserole via Beard and Bonnet
What’s on your dinner menu for the week? If you want to make our suggestions, download the handy shopping list before you hit the store!