I may just be the biggest smoothie fan out there. I drink one or two every single day. I’ve been known to turn anything and everything into a smoothie. But hands down my favorite combination is frozen cherries, kale, yogurt, a little almond butter, and cinnamon. That combo is magic! The consistency is perfect for a smoothie bowl–it’s like fruity fro-yo. (And you’d never know there was kale in it.) I hope the smoothie bowl trend never ends!
Cherries are one of my favorite fruits to blend with because they are naturally sweet so I don’t need to add any extra sweetener. Plus they are full of fiber, vitamins A and C, antioxidants, and minerals (potassium, iron, zinc, copper, and manganese). Another great thing about cherries is that they are a natural source of melatonin, which helps regulate sleep patterns.
To this smoothie bowl, I’ve added plenty of protein to make it more filling and help prevent blood sugar spikes. Almond butter and Greek yogurt are both great sources of protein. You can substitute non-dairy yogurt or coconut cream (both are just as tasty) in place of the Greek yogurt, if needed.
Toppings are another one of the best parts of smoothie bowls, am I right? I love adding toppings with texture, crunch, and nutrients. Feel free to top this with anything you like–I’ve used bee pollen (full of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals), shredded coconut (healthy fats and fiber), sliced almonds (protein, vitamin E, fiber), and cacao nibs (fiber and they taste great!), and a dash more cinnamon. Granola or fruit (fresh or dried) work well too.
One thing to keep in mind when you’re blending is that because this has virtually no liquid, it will be on the thick side. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of your blender. If you have a high-speed blender it will probably have less trouble. The longer you blend, the thinner the smoothie will be.
- 1 cup baby kale or spinach
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1½ cups frozen dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon plus a little more for sprinkling
- Toppings: bee pollen, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, cacao nibs
- Place kale, Greek yogurt, frozen cherries, almond butter, and cinnamon into a blender. Blend until smooth. You may need to stop the blender and scrape down the sides. If absolutely necessary, add a little water if your blender is having trouble. The mixture is supposed to be thick and spoonable.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl. Garnish with desired toppings. Eat immediately.