There are a few qualifications for a good breakfast: It has to be tasty, it has to actually keep you full, it has to be good for you, and it has to be so easy you can make it in your sleep—or at least when you’re really sleepy. This coconut yogurt parfait with berries, cinnamon and sunflower seeds fits the bill completely.
Coconut milk yogurt is an amazing non-dairy alternative to yogurt that’s full of healthy fats. (You can use Greek yogurt, which has plenty of protein, if you like.) Sunflower seeds add a satisfying crunch, protein and magnesium, which helps put you in a good mood. Which is pretty important in the morning :) The berries add antioxidants, fiber and other nutrients, however you can sub in whatever fruit you have on hand.
Even the cinnamon plays a part: this spice helps reduce inflammation in the body and regulate blood sugar. Whereas sugary cereals or store-bought yogurt blends can cause your blood sugar to spike (without giving you enough protein or fiber to stay full—resulting in that awful shaky, crabby feeling when it crashes), this slightly sweet parfait will help keep it stable and keep you full until lunch. If you’re strapped for time, blend it all up in smoothie form, adding a little coconut or almond milk to thin if needed.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Easiest Breakfast Ever: Coconut Yogurt Parfait with Berries
An antioxidant-, mineral- and protein-packed breakfast that's as easy as can be.
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk yogurt (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut (optional)
- Dash cinnamon
- ¼ cup berries of choice
- 1 teaspoon stevia to sweeten (optional)
- In a bowl or glass add ½ cup coconut milk yogurt.
- Top with 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon and 1/8 cup berries.
- Top with ½ cup coconut milk yogurt, 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, coconut, cinnamon and 1/8 cup berries.
- Top with optional stevia and serve.