DIY Laundry Booster is a great way to give your regular eco-friendly detergent a helping hand. Some days, especially when you have young kids, you get a load of laundry that’s just a little bit dirtier than normal. With only two simple, powerful ingredients, this laundry booster will be able to give your normal laundry routine that extra help it needs to keep your clothes naturally clean.
When my children were younger, I used a store-bought laundry detergent booster as a pre-wash soak for our cloth nappies, which helped both deodorize them and take out stains. This recipe is a much cheaper way to make a laundry detergent booster product at home.
First, add the ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda to a bowl. Super Washing Soda is a great laundry aid. It softens water, breaks down grease and minimizes odor. No wonder it has been used in laundry and cleaning since 1874!
Often called laundry soda or soda crystals, washing soda is made from sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate has a slightly different structure than baking soda, which is sodium bicarbonate. Sodium carbonate has a pH of approximately 12.0 making it highly alkaline. It is the alkalinity of ARM & HAMMER™ Super Washing Soda that helps to make your regular laundry detergent more effective, particularly in hard water areas.
Next, you’ll need to add the hydrogen peroxide to the bowl with the washing soda. Hydrogen peroxide is a great stain remover and sanitizer. It can also be used neat (3% concentration) on stains such as blood and it’s a great alternative to bleach for brightening dull whites. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxygen-based bleach or oxidizer that can be used in place of chlorine-based bleach. It breaks down into oxygen and water making it more environmentally friendly than regular chlorine-based bleach.
Stir to combine. That’s it! Your DIY Laundry Booster is ready to use.
Add 1/2 cup to your liquid laundry detergent or the pre-wash compartment in your regular wash or add it to a bowl of warm water to pre-soak your clothes.
DIY Laundry Booster
Harness the natural cleaning powers of this 2 ingredient laundry booster!
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 2 cups super washing soda
- Add the washing soda to a large bowl.
- Add the hydrogen peroxide to the washing soda and mix thoroughly.
- Store your DIY Laundry Booster in an open jar.
How do you handle difficult laundry problems? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/1/16– 12/1/16
Be sure to visit the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda Brand Page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
Recipe and post by Stephanie Stansby; Photos by Stephanie Pollard