Your family and friends gathered around the table, everything was well-prepared and everybody had so much fun! What comes the next day? Feeling exhausted from all that work. (And the Black Friday shopping doesn’t help either!) You pay for making everything perfect with energy and nutrient loss. As soon as you have a moment for yourself, try to make one of these healing milks to put you back on track.
Healing milks are my go-to drinks for regaining my focus, mindfulness and energy. Loaded with spices, protein and healthy fats, they make a perfect elixir for calming my mind, nourishing my cells and rooting my spirit.
Turmeric, nutmeg and cinnamon are ancient healing spices, with a strong antioxidant and soothing effect, making them the best choice for adding to these milks. Coconut oil is never missing from the picture, because it stimulates cells regeneration and balanced hormone production (responsible for your good mood). Plant-based milks contain concentrations of the protein your body needs for restoring damaged cells and for activating the enzymes responsible for natural detoxification processes.
Spiced Almond Milk
Loaded with quality protein for cell regeneration, calming spices with strong antioxidant effects and potassium for balanced cell activity, this healing drink is the perfect choice for a post-holiday morning.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup almonds, soaked at least 8 hours (discard the water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon liquid sweetener (optional)
- 4 cups almond milk (see above)
- 4 tablespoons plant-based protein powder
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Add the water and almonds to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until the almonds are ground down (2 to 3 minutes). Use a nut milk bag or a clean, white t-shirt to sift the almond from the milk into a bowl. You can repeat the process using the same ground almonds 2 or 3 times to store for later use. Add vanilla and sweetener if you desire.
- Add the almond milk that you just made with protein powder, banana, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a high-speed blender. Blend until well-incorporated. Serve immediately.
Turmeric Golden Milk
Blissfully yellow, with a warming taste and velvety texture, our golden turmeric milk makes a calming evening drink to sooth your digestive system, relax your mind and prepare you for a regenerating sleep.
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric paste (from above)
- 4 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons of a liquid sweetener
- Add the water and turmeric to a small pot over medium heat. Turmeric can easily stain your clothes, pots, and utensils so be careful and wash right away. Gently stir the water and turmeric into a paste of medium consistency. If the paste becomes too dry, add a little water. Cook the paste for about 7 to 10 minutes. It should be a slightly darker brown color than when you started. Store in a glass container in your refrigerator to avoid permanent staining.
- Add the paste and milk to a pot over medium heat. Stir slowly until the milk is warm, not boiling. Serve with the sweetener of your choice.