Have you ever tried healthy lemon bars that are gluten-free, packed with protein, and contain zero refined sugars? And still taste sweet, creamy, chewy, and all-around amazing? If your answer is no, you’re in for a treat with this recipe! If your answer is yes, you’re in for an even bigger treat, because I guarantee these are the most tasty and healthy lemon bars out there!
The fresh-squeezed lemon juice is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C. Who doesn’t love a strong boost to the immune system while simultaneously indulging in a baked good?
And let’s talk about the amazing crust! This gluten-free lemon bar crust is packed with almonds and grains, creating a bold and nutty flavor and providing a source of fiber.
These healthy lemon bars are full of nutrient-dense ingredients, making them an ideal dessert for when you’re trying to eat more wholesome and clean foods. At 13 grams of protein per bar, they’ll keep you full and satisfied too–you might even want to have them for breakfast. Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
Increase Your Protein with These Healthy Lemon Bars
Yield 8 lemon bars
- For the crust:
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- For the filling:
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. (Allow the parchment paper to hang 2-3 inches over sides so it's easy to lift when lemon bars are done.)
- Blend oats, almonds, coconut sugar, and sea salt in a food processor until it breaks down to meal. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and stir in the maple syrup and coconut oil. Press the crust mixture into the baking dish, evenly covering the bottom and pressing into the corners. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. Whisk the eggs until they're pale. Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Whisk in the Greek yogurt, mixing about 5 minutes, until smooth. Slowly add the cornstarch and salt, and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Pour the lemon mixture on top of baked crust, and bake at 350°F for another 15-20 minutes, until center jiggles but the edges are firm. Remove from the oven when done and allow the lemon bars to cool to room temperature before placing in refrigerator. (This helps prevent cracking and separating.)
- Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours. When chilled, add powdered sugar if desired, cut into eight squares, and serve.
Courses Healthy Desserts