I’ve discovered a new passion – making my own homemade beauty recipes. I can spend time in the kitchen using ingredients that are normally off limits and not worry about calories!
Flipping through a magazine (another obsession) I spotted a gorgeous sugar scrub – for $40! Gulp. Turns out it’s uber easy to make your own sugar scrub – and cheap. Just follow a basic recipe and add in whatever sounds good to you.
Exfoliation has never been top of mind in my beauty regimen until a recent facial made me a convert. I’ve been using an easy facial concoction that I’ll share soon. But trust me, your skin will feel amazing after using this!
Basic Sugar Scrub Recipe
1 cup sugar – you can use regular sugar, brown sugar or cane sugar. Epsom salt also works.
1/2 cup oil – again, pretty much any kind goes: olive, almond, sesame, safflower, vegetable, etc. I find the smell of olive oil overpowering so went with sesame oil.
Put the sugar in a bowl and add oil slowly, stirring as you go. You want a consistency you can scoop with your hand so don’t let the texture to get too runny. Store in a container with tight fitting lid. You can easily double this recipe if you want to keep it on hand for awhile.
Citrus Vanilla Sugar Scrub
Add zest of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Stir well to combine.
6 More Sugar Scrub Ideas
I perused the skin care aisle at Walgreens and came up with a few more fun ideas.
- Coconut Ginger: Use coconut oil for the base and add grated ginger.
- Orange Ginger: Add orange zest and grated ginger for an energy boost.
- Cucumber & Melon: Puree cucumber and melon together and add to mixture.
- Brown sugar & Warm honey: Replace the oil with 1/4 cup of warm honey. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to get the right consistency.
- Lavender & Chamomile: Add a few drops of lavender essential oil along with chamomile essential oil for a soothing scrub before bedtime.
- Peppermint & Eucalyptus: Add a few drops of both essential oils for a great stress reliever.
Walk through the beauty aisle for inspiration. Or just look in your cupboard!