Christmas is right around the corner, and all I’m thinking about now are decorations, reindeers, wrapping presents, and snow, a lot of snow. Which I don’t think we’ll be getting over here, but at least it’s snowing in my imagination. I’ve got a lovely scene in my head where we open presents while sipping a warm, comforting glass of mulled apple cider with a gorgeous white, snowy background. And if snow is missing, this winter drink is definitely something I can make!
You can use mulling spices for almost any liquid you have in mind, but nothing tastes more holiday-ish than a cup of cinnamon and clove-flavored apple cider. Sometimes the best memories come from simple things, like baking bread or roasting root veggies and filling the whole house with delicious flavors. And a simple drink can instantly give you the feeling of belonging, the feeling of home.
You can certainly buy apple cider and a mulling spice blend (and no one is going to blame you for it if you’re running out of time), but preparing everything at home is almost like a meditation process. It keeps you focused on the present moment, it makes you think of your loved ones and it makes you feel complete. And nothing beat the nice, pulpy texture you get from juicing apples yourself.
Mulled Apple Cider
Warming and comforting, this deliciously flavored mulled apple cider is the best drink for serving on Christmas day.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp whole cloves (5-6 pieces)
- 3-4 anise stars
- The seeds from one vanilla pod
- The peel from 1/2 lemon
- 2 organic tangerines, cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp organic raw honey
- 4 cups freshly squeezed apple juice
- Add all the ingredients except honey in a medium sauce pan , bring to boil and then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from the heat and let cool until comfortable to drink.
- Add the organic honey, mix to combine, then pour into serving glasses, garnishing them with some of the mulling ingredients, and serve warm.