As soon as the weather turns even remotely chilly, I break out the slow cooker. Just as my husband looks forward to summer for its grilling potential, I look forward to autumn so I can slow cook all the things. There’s something magical about throwing a bunch of ingredients in a crockpot and having dinner pop out five hours later, and I find myself looking for any and every excuse to use it. This metabolism-boosting slow cooker hot chocolate is as easy to make as it is delicious and it’s absolutely perfect for the holidays. Plus, it’s chock full of good-for-you ingredients, so feel free to sip away without worrying about your waistline.
Rather than make individual cups of hot cocoa, you can make a big batch, let it simmer all day and sip as necessary. And as if hot chocolate isn’t magical enough on its own, I made this one good for you by adding metabolism-boosting dark chocolate, heaps of cinnamon and coconut cream.
To lighten it up even further, I substituted Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk for regular milk. It’s lower in calories than other milks, doesn’t contain any added sweeteners, and it’s lactose-free, making it more easily digestible than cow’s milk.
Metabolism Boosting Hot Chocolate
Here’s why it works:
Dark chocolate is high in monounsaturated fats which help to boost the metabolism and help the body burn fat. Studies have shown that people who eat dark chocolate have fewer cravings for sweets and snack foods.
Cinnamon helps to control insulin levels, which in turn helps your body use carbohydrates more efficiently so they don’t get stored in the body as fat.
Coconut cream is high in saturated fat which makes it excellent at curbing hunger and boosting metabolism.
Capsaicin, the active ingredient that gives cayenne pepper its spice, has been shown to cause the body to produce more heat and burn more calories as fuel.
This recipe is perfect if you find yourself feeling sluggish in the afternoons or if you’re having a hard time shedding those last few pounds. Pour yourself a glass and sip for a little extra pep in your step and a healthy boost to your metabolism.
- 4 cups Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces 75% dark chocolate (the darker the better!)
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 large pinch cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Coconut cream, whipped
- In a large slow cooker, combine all ingredients except the coconut cream and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for two hours, whisking every now and again to combine the ingredients.
- Once completely melted, ladle into mugs and top with a heaping spoonful of coconut cream. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and shaved chocolate to garnish. Be sure to drink it while it’s hot, as it has the tendency to thicken as it cools.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.