Ok, so we’re still having chilly days around here (like today) that beg for a warm, comforting stew. I saw this recipe on Rachael Ray’s show and kept thinking about how easy and yummy it looked. Plus it includes two of my favorite things: sausage and kale.
So easy to make – just pile it all in the pot and bake! I omit the pimentos because they are just not something I ever have on hand. Last week I made it without potatoes and it was still great.
My kids (and husband) end up fighting for the pieces of sausage. Don’t slice the sausage too small – they will get hard.
Recipe from Rachael Ray
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved
- 3-4 small ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet or regular sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound Spanish-style dry chorizo, casing removed and cut into slices 2-inches thick
Preheat oven 400˚F. Place potatoes, celery, onions, pimiento peppers, beans, kale and garlic in large bowl (I go ahead and put in my dutch oven) and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Pour EVOO over vegetables and toss to coat well. Transfer to a large casserole dish. Pour tomatoes over vegetables then arrange chorizo on top. Cover and roast 1 hour then uncover and bake 15 minutes more, to crisp up sausage. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of bread alongside for mopping.