If you have a morning smoothie routine, you’ve already made the first step for detox. Smoothies are one of the easiest and most delicious ways to include detox powerhouses to your diet. If your system is sluggish from a few days of excess this green detox smoothie will kick start the tune up and clear out the stored toxins overwhelming your system.
When you fuel your body with detoxifying ingredients first thing in the morning, you kick start your metabolism, your liver works with maximum efficiency, you feel light and energetic. As your body flushes out the toxins lurking in your system, your skin will glow and the under eye circles disappear.
Detoxing is no rocket science. It’s not about complicated diets, food restrictions, deprivations or strict schedules. Your body has its own ways to heal and detox, and it does so every single day through perspiration, respiration, bowel elimination and urination – it only needs the right foods to help clear out the stored toxins. And the good news is that most of them are perfect smoothie ingredients.
Smoothie detox superstars
- Lemons – stimulate digestion and the release of enzymes that neutralize toxins, converting them in a water-soluble form
- Apples – contain pectin, which is a soluble fiber that retains the toxins in the colon and flushes them out;
- Green Veggies and Sea Algae – the magic word is chlorophyll, the powerful nutrient that starts the detox process, cleaning your body of heavy metals, pesticides and other environmental toxins; the most powerful green veggies are: cucumber, broccoli and dandelions, as for the sea algae consider chlorella and spirulina;
- Green Leafy Vegetables – are high in fibers, potassium and antioxidants, the main ingredients for a healthy liver and digestive system; make sure you eat plenty of kale, spinach, celery, chard, turnips, romaine, mangold;
- Green Tea – contains nutrients called polyphenols, with a strong antioxidant effect, helping your body to fight against free-radicals
- Bee Pollen – is packed with nutrients that nourish the liver and reinstate your body’s natural equilibrium, helping it to naturally detox
You can find these ingredients at the supermarket, at the farmers’ market or the natural food stores, so you can easily include them separately or in combinations in your morning smoothie routine. When my immunity is down and my system needs a detox kick, I add as many of these ingredients in my smoothies. It does wonders!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon bee pollen
- 2 teaspoons spirulina powder
- 1 organic green apple, cut in cubes
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 cucumber, cut in cubes
- ½ cup almond milk
- Add all ingredients in the blender and process to obtain a creamy smoothie.
- Drink right away