We haven’t gone out for Valentine’s Day in years. In fact, it’s been at least seven years – ever since we got married! Truth is, a quiet dinner at home sounds a lot better than a busy, overpriced restaurant. With busy work schedules this year, dinner together isn’t an option. But that doesn’t mean we can’t sneak in an easy, no cook lunch date!
A no cook lunch date
Instead of worrying about cooking a main meal and sides, try the antipasto approach. You get a little bit of everything to pick on! Olives, fresh mozzarella balls, grapes, brie, crackers, sliced sausage are all easy things to grab at the deli and turn into a fun, no cook spread to nosh on. Of course, you’ll need some bubbly too.
To add a special homemade touch to the no-cook lunch, strawberry prosecco granita is the perfect thing. It’s festive (we do love pink food!), refreshing and the perfect way to wrap up a romantic lunch for two.
Strawberry Prosecco Granita
Yield 4 -6
- 1 pound strawberrries, hulled and pureed in a food processor or blender
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- leaves from 1 sprig of mint
- 2 cups prosecco (or champagne)
- In a small sauce pan, combine the water, sugar and mint leaves over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, turn the heat off and let the mixture sit for 20 minutes.
- Combine the pureed strawberries, prosecco and simple syrup in a 9x12 glass baking dish. Stir together and place in freezer for 2-3 hours, scraping the mixture with a fork every hour or so to break it into pieces.
- Serve with a sprig of mint