If you like to take your time in the morning and savor every bite (or sip) of your breakfast, you’ll definitely be into smoothie bowls. No matter which one you choose, a smoothie bowl for breakfast is the perfect way to kick-start your day, energizing your body with tons of nutrients.
So what is a smoothie bowl? It’s a normal smoothie, only served into a bowl and ready to be enjoyed spoonful by spoonful. Often they’re a little more substantial than a sippable smoothie and include healthy doses of greens, fruit, milk or yogurt (dairy or vegan versions), healthy fats and a superfood. Learn all about how to make a smoothie bowl—and get dozens of flavor-combination ideas—over at Oh My Veggies.
As berries of all kind are in full season now, packed full of incredible antioxidant and cancer-fighting benefits, I use them in smoothies every day. This blackberry-coconut smoothie bowl has became my favorite breakfast lately.
I’m in love with the glossy black color of the berries and I like the creaminess of coconut milk, but this is my go-to breakfast most of all because it’s nourishing and energizing enough so I don’t need any other snack until lunch. And, I must say, it’s delicious!
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ cup coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 cup coconut milk or other milk/yogurt
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- Add spinach, banana and milk or yogurt in the blender and process until creamy.
- Add blackberries (setting aside a few for garnish) and pulse two or three times to incorporate.
- Distribute the smoothie evenly in the serving bowls. Garnish with fresh blackberries, top with chia and pumpkin seeds and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
- Serve right away.