You know that heavy, bloated feeling you get after eating pasta, that is comparable to major PMSing? Yeah, it’s the worst. However, it can be avoided by switching your basic spaghetti for these detox zucchini noodles with cilantro pesto and heirloom tomatoes.
Can we talk about how amazing zucchini is for your health? It’s like that friend who is really quiet and humble, always flying under the radar, but is insanely gifted and a joy to be around. Who doesn’t want that in their life? Zucchini contains high amounts of fiber, Vitamin A and C, which helps your body rid toxins.
Speaking of detoxing, cilantro is also where it’s at for cleansing your body of heavy metals and other toxins–you can even purchase cilantro tincture made specifically for heavy metal detox. The other thing we love about cilantro? It contains beta-carotene, beta-cryptoxanthin, as well as lutein and zeaxanthin. These are all known as dietary carotenoids, which aid in decreasing risk for multiple cancers and diseases. Pair that with gorgeous and flavorful heirloom tomatoes, and you’re on your way to looking and feeling fabulous!
These zucchini noodles with cilantro pesto are a beautiful and refreshing dinner to serve at your summer dinner parties. Enjoy the slight crunch of each bite, with the robust, juicy flavor of an heirloom tomato as you dine under the glow of string lights with your favorite people. It’s what summer is all about!
Zucchini Noodles with Cilantro Pesto
Yield 2 servings
For the cilantro pesto:
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the zucchini noodles:
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, add the cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, pine nuts, and salt. Pulse until finely chopped. If desired, transfer to a mortar and pestle to further grind and release flavors. Set aside.
- Chop the ends off the zucchini so both sides are flat. Attach to a spiralizer using the thin julienne blade and make noodles.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini noodles and sliced heirloom tomatoes. Heat and toss about 3-5 minutes until zoodles are tender, but still holding shape. Sprinkle with salt.
- Top the zucchini noodles and heirloom tomatoes with the cilantro pesto and serve while warm. Enjoy!