Essential oils not only smell nice, but they have many purposes around the home and in supporting your health. One of the easiest ways to enjoy their lovely scent – and get the health benefits – is with a diffuser. It’s easy to do first thing in the morning when you need a pick-me-up or in the evening when you’re ready to wind down. (We love this gorgeous one.)
The ladies at Drops of Joy Jewelry live and breathe essential oils all day and were happy to share the essential of diffusing. Whether you are using a cold-air diffuser, or beautiful diffuser jewelry, here are just a few of the benefits you will achieve when you diffuser your essential oils.
1. Balanced Emotions
The emotional center of your brain, the limbic system, is linked to your sense of smell. When you breathe in an essential oil, your olfactory bulb sends impulses to your brain, which in turn can affect heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, stress levels, memory, and hormones. Does smelling lavender help calm you down? That’s because our brain creates a link between scent and our memories and emotions! When you smell your oils, you are opening up those links. You are also able to make new connections and memories with new oils you use.
2. Chemically Freshen the Air
Take a quick look at your air freshener that smells like apples and cinnamon. Are apples and cinnamon the only ingredient listed? Probably not. And you may or may not mind, as we all know that there are chemicals in such products, and we may or may not choose to still use them. However, most of these products just mask odors, instead of eliminating them. When you diffuse essential oils into a room, you have a great way to knock out and destroy bacteria in the air. Essential oils will actually alter the odor molecule structures, rather than just covering them up.
3. Rest & Relaxation
Many people start using essential oils and aromatherapy to help them with relaxation and stress relief. Different essential oils can be used to evoke physical and emotional responses that will help ease the stressors of everyday life.
4. Support a Healthy Immune System
There are many essential oils that have a detoxifying effect on the body. Diffusing them will help not only purify the air, but cleanse and clear the body of toxic build-up. If you are using oils for means to get better rest and resist food cravings, this may also help strengthen your immune system. Diffusing essential oils is a great first line of defense against germs.
5. Support a Healthy Respiratory System
Our family is personally affected by respiratory issues, so we know how important it is to have a healthy respiratory system, which supplies oxygen to your entire body. The respiratory system has many different components (sinuses, nasal cavity, lungs, trachea, diaphragm to name a few), and we want each of those part working properly! There are many essential oils that can help promote healthy breathing throughout the year.
5 Diffuser Oil Blends To Try
Here are a few great blends to try in your cold-air diffuser or your essential oil jewelry! Drop recommendations are for a diffuser, but you could easily make a mixture to store in a roller or dropper bottle and use 1-2 drops at a time in your jewelry.
- Wake Me Up Combo – Lemon & Peppermint (2-4 drops of each)
- Odor Attacker – Melaleuca alternafolia, Lemon, Orange, and Frankincense (1-2 drops each). Another good combo to try is Rosemary, Citronella, Melaleuca alternafolia, Lemon, and Cinnamon.
- Happy Clean Combo – Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit (2 drops of each)
- Just Breathe – Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli (2 drops each), or try a combo of Frankincense and Bergamot (2-4 drops each)
- Sweet Dreams Combo – Chamomile, Bergamot, Clary Sage (2 drops each)
- Concentration & Memory Blend – Peppermint and Orange (2-3 drops each), or try 4 drops Rosemary, 6 drops of Lemon and 4 drops of Cypress for mental clarity.
- Respiratory Blend – 1 drop of Rosemary, 1 drop of Clove, 1 drop of Eucalyptus, and 1 drop of Cinnamon
- Immune System Support – Lemon, Lime, Peppermint, Rosemary and Eucalyptus Radiata (1-2 drops each)