Peaches and basil—do any other foods evoke fresh, late-summer eating quite as well? (Okay, maybe corn, zucchini and tomatoes have a fighting chance…) Both are bountiful this time of year, and there are plenty of delicious things to make with them.
Grilled fruit is perfect in dessert form, like these grilled peaches with honey-almond yogurt, but it also works in savory dishes like this one, where it’s paired with peppery arugula and a vegan basil pesto dressing. So harvest that garden basil and stock up on peaches at the farmers market—you’ve got a fresh summer salad to make!
Arugula Salad with Grilled Peaches and Vegan Basil Pesto
For the salad
- 2 medium peaches cut in halves, stones removed
- 2 handful fresh arugula rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
For the pesto dressing
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Place the peach halves in a bowl, together with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and mix well to combine.
- Grill the peach halves for 5 minutes until they get nice brown grill marks.
- Place all the pesto ingredients in the food processor and process until a smooth paste is formed. Add one tablespoon water if you want a runnier texture.
- Distribute the arugula onto serving plates. Place two grilled peach halves on each plate, top with basil pesto and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
- Serve right away.