Hot wings may be a game day staple, but I’m ready to give traditional buffalo the boot. And I’d be willing to bet that these finger lickin’ wings will be the real Super Bowl winner. Combine them with cheesy cauliflower dip and a crowd pleasing cocktail for a top notch party spread.
Baked chicken wings are a healthier alternative to the deep-fried variety so it’s time to bone-up on how to add flavor with a spicy Sriracha sauce. If you’re not familiar with Sriracha, it’s a type of Thai hot sauce made with red chili and garlic. It’s gained somewhat of a cult following in the past few years, and people are putting it in everything from mac & cheese to popcorn. So why not wings?
And these sweet and spicy wings did not disappoint. But if you’re a pansy when it comes to spiciness you can dial down the Sriracha to just 2 tablespoons.
Baked Sriracha Chicken Wings
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onions
- Mix together the marinade ingredients in a sealable plastic bag and add the chicken wings.
- Seal and place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- When ready to prepare, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the wings on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Place the roasting pan on the oven rack and pour enough water into the roasting pan to reach 1/2 inch up the side of the pan.
- Bake the wings for 25-30 minutes or until crispy.
- With about 10 minutes left on the alarm for the chicken wings, prepare the sauce by combining all of the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Boil for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Once the wings are cooked, place the wings in the sauce and toss to coat.
- If desired, sprinkle on some sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve immediately.