Every spring, I wait for the happy moment when the farmer’s markets are flooded with strawberries. Berries are my favorite fruit, and I don’t have enough words to say about how many benefits they have for our bodies! Their merry shades of red, magenta and deep blue announce their high concentrations of antioxidants, our main allies in reducing oxidative stress and free radical damage.
To get the maximum benefits from the nutrients in berries, you should aim to eat a cup 3 or 4 times a week. That means about 10 strawberries or a handful blueberries per serving. That’s not that much, especially as summer is coming and fresh berries are available everywhere. Keep in mind these health benefits when thinking about what fruits to buy next:
- Their antioxidants help prevent early neurological disorders and help keep your mind sharp so you can enjoy the beautiful things in your daily life.
- Their fiber and water content can help you loose weight by giving a sense of fullness.
- The vitamins in berries (especially vitamin C) nourish your skin from inside out, reducing the signs of aging.
Raw is the way I most often serve berries, but I like to play with their sweet and sour taste, and pair them with flavorful ingredients to create light and nourishing breakfasts. This time I used fresh aromatic herbs, ricotta, pine nuts and organic raw honey to highlight the berries in this delicious breakfast pizza. I made a chickpea crust to ease digestion and the nutty taste worked perfectly with the sweetness of the other ingredients. And it’s gluten-free, too!
Berry Breakfast Pizza with Chickpea Crust
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh mixed berries any available
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 5-6 mint leaves fresh
- 1 cup good quality ricotta
- 1/2 lime
- Organic raw honey to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Add the crust ingredients into the food processor and mix to obtain a dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll over the dough into a 1/8 inch thick layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then flip over and bake 10 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven, spread the ricotta all over the crust, top with frozen blueberries and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, top with fresh berries and pine nuts, garnish with mint leaves, drizzle with honey and serve warm.