Summer is known as ice cream season around my house. There has been no shortage of ice cream the last few weeks either! I love coming up with new flavors, and my latest obsession is coming up with non-dairy ice cream recipes. Coconut milk makes luxurious ice cream. It’s every bit as rich as traditional dairy ice cream, but with light coconut flavor to boot. This Blueberry Chocolate Chunk Vegan Ice Cream will surprise you!
You can use any berry, or even cherries, for this. I really like blueberries with chocolate – it’s a magical combination. This ice cream is incredibly easy to make. All you need is a blender. I’ve even included directions in case you don’t have an ice cream maker. Coconut cream is a wonderful substitute for heavy cream.
The ice cream might look icy in appearance, but it doesn’t taste the least bit icy. It’s 100% rich and creamy. I added a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to the ice cream base to give the ice cream itself a little hint of chocolate. The blueberries are ever so tart, which matches perfectly with the deep flavor of the bittersweet chocolate chunks.
Non-Dairy Blueberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice
- 2 Tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks or shavings
- Place coconut milk, blueberries, cane juice, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract into a blender. Puree until smooth. It will be thick and creamy. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to an airtight, freezer-proof container and fold in the chocolate chunks. Freeze until firm enough to scoop.
- Make about 1 quart of ice cream