I’m so not ready for summer to end, but ready or not, we’re rapidly approaching August and when August is here, school is right around the corner—along with shorter days, brisker breezes, and pumpkin spice everything. Busier days and earlier bedtimes means that having a meal plan is essential. There’s no time to stand around in the kitchen at 6pm everyday wondering what to make for dinner!
What works best for my family is to have a combination of quick, easy dinners and make-ahead options that I can put together on the weekend to eat during the week. And these quinoa patties just happen to be both quick and easy and ideal for making in advance and eating later. They even stand up well to freezing if you feel like making an extra batch. Which you should! Because they’re delicious.
And here’s what I really love about this recipe—it’s super easy to change it up based on your family’s tastes. Use a different cheese, different vegetable, even a different grain. Think of this recipe as a template! Just taste the mixture before you add the egg and adjust as needed.
Photo + Recipe by Ana Stanciu
Broccoli-Feta Quinoa Patties
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 broccoli head steamed and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored cooking oil
- Arugula and cherry tomatoes for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, broccoli, feta, chia seeds, garlic, and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste, then fold in the egg.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into 4-6 patties. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and fry the patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp.
- Serve the patties on a bed of arugula and tomatoes.