When it comes to leftover turkey, it seems like sandwiches get all the glory. But I admit that I prefer a good salad with leftover turkey. It’s a great way to stretch those leftovers beyond the traditional sandwich.
Roasted turkey is combined with chopped fresh kale and dried cranberries – another nod to Thanksgiving flavors. Sweet and savory flavors make for a balanced dish: add green apples and pineapple for that sweet tart taste, and toss in creamy avocado and crunchy cashews to provide a dose of good fats. Topped with a ginger vinaigrette, the salad is great on its own in a bowl but can also be used to make wraps with tortillas or lettuce leaves.
Salads are meant to be made in bulk so that you can prep once and eat it over several days. Don’t waste all those yummy veggies! Toss the salad together and simply cover the bowl plastic or beeswax wrap to keep the salad in the fridge for a day or two. If you plan to keep it longer than that, don’t add the vinaigrette or avocados. Instead, add them right before serving.
Turkey Salad with Kale
- 2-3 cups chopped kale
- 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey diced
- 1 green apple diced
- 3/4 cup pineapple fresh or canned, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup cashews chopped
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine kale, turkey, fruit, and nuts in a bowl.
- Whisk together the sesame oil, vinegar, and fresh ginger. Pour over the salad, season well with salt and pepper, and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover well until ready to serve.