Yield 6-8 servings
Whole grain cornmeal waffles lightly sweetened with honey that are perfect for any meal, anytime of day. Top with Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili for a delicious dinner.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup stone ground coarse cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl or large glass measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter or oil, and honey.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Stir until just combined. The batter may not be smooth and that's okay.
- Depending on the size of your waffle iron, ladle the batter onto the hot waffle iron and cook to desired crispiness. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve topped with Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili and toppings as a main dish, or serve with fruit and maple syrup for breakfast.
Courses Breakfast, Main Dish