My recent adventure in Costa Rica has me excited to incorporate more mud/clay into my beauty routine and DIY recipes at home. The minerals found in mud and clay work wonders on skin, and I am anxious to recreate the soft, glowing effects that I experienced on this retreat . Mud has been used in beauty recipes for centuries – for good reason!
Some of the benefits of mineral-rich clay include:
- healing properties
- absorbs excess oil
- enhances blood circulation
Mud masks not only leave your face feeling soft and smooth, but leave skin aglow thanks to the increase in blood supply. All skin types can benefit from mud, and if you’re not sure which clay to use in the following recipe, check here. But, in general, bentonite clay works well for most skin types. If your skin is super sensitive, stick with a gentle clay like white kaolin or French green.
DIY Dead Sea Mud Mask
DIY Dead Sea Mud Mask
- Small non-metal dish
- Non-metal measuring spoons
- 1 teaspoon Dead Sea mineral salt
- 2 teaspoons clay - depending on your skin type you can use white kaolin red clay, bentonite, green clay or Fuller's Earth
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Warm water
- 1 drop tea tree oil
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small non-metal dish and slowly add warm water until the consistency is smooth and spreadable. Depending on the brand and thickness of your yogurt, the amount of water needed may vary.
- Apply to your face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
This post was medically reviewed by Dr. Jennifer Haley, a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience in medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatology. Learn more about Hello Glow’s medical review board here. As always, this is not personal medical advice and we recommend that you talk with your doctor.
Photos by Ana Stanciu66
Bernadette Erie says
I just came back from Israel with a ziploc bag of Dead Sea mud I want to make mask with it this time. In 2015 I brought some I didn’t use it, it became hard . I don’t want to waste it again. I definitely will try it.
This face mask looks amazingly natural and healthy! I can’t wait to try it x
I love a good clay mask, it always makes my skin feel so smooth afterwards. What is the function of the yogurt? Could I use dairy free yogurt instead?