Lemonade and summer are a match made in heaven and I can’t get enough of it!
Childhood memories and deliciousness aside, lemon is uplifting and refreshing for the body and mind. Exactly what we need on hot, hot days when it’s a marathon effort to walk around the block.
The scent is also invigorating. It’s amazing how a quick spritz and a deep inhale can be just the thing to pick me up out of a heat-induced slump. This body spray is great after swimming too, because the citrus oils seem to have some clever reaction that magically combats the smell of chlorine.
- Orange flower water (or water to boil)
- Lemon, lavender and sandalwood essential oil
- Glass spray bottle (new or sterilized)
Lavender and sandalwood oils are soothing for frayed nerves and round out the fragrance, helping it linger a little longer. The alcohol is there to disperse the fragrance. Vodka is the purest drinking alcohol with very little fragrance of its own and therefore the best choice for perfume-making. Unfortunately, rubbing alcohol is too strong for the skin, so not a good choice in this recipe.
Note: This DIY body spray is best used after being in the sun or on areas that will not be exposed, as some skin types may find the citrus oils increase their sensitivity to the sun.
Lemonade Body Spray
- Blend all the ingredients together in the glass spray bottle. (Use one that's new or that has been sterilized.)
- Label the bottle.
- Shake well before use.
- Spray all over the body, avoiding the face (and any areas likely to be exposed to the sun) and enjoy!
Photos by Ana Stanciu90