Easy Marinara Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil or butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add the onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes, lowering heat if necessary, until onion softens and starts to become translucent.
- Add the garlic and Italian herbs. Saute for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the diced and crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Let cook for at least 20-30 minutes, or longer to allow flavors to blend. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Allow sauce to cool slightly before transferring to airtight containers or jars. Will keep in refrigerator about 1 week and can be frozen up to 6 months.
- This can also be made in a slow cooker. Saute the onion, garlic, and Italian herbs, then transfer to a slow cooker and add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.