It takes pretty much no effort to dump a can of soup into a bowl and throw it in the microwave. But you can make a homemade veggie soup in not much more time than that—and it will be way healthier and tastier.
This creamy asparagus soup includes a heaping helping of cauliflower, which boasts B vitamins, omega-3s, fiber and antioxidants like vitamin C. Beyond serving as a low-carb rice substitute and a grillable main dish, cauliflower also lends a deliciously creamy taste and texture to soups (try this Garlic Cauliflower Soup as well). Asparagus is likewise packed with antioxidants, vitamins and fiber; it’s also a source of a detoxifying compound that helps break down carcinogens and free radicals.
While asparagus is best in the spring, it’s available year round. If you don’t have asparagus on hand, kale or broccoli would make a good substitution (just don’t cook the kale as long as you would the asparagus—only give it about 5 minutes). This quick-and-easy dinner would be lovely paired with a salad and/or crusty baguette. Enjoy!
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Sauté onion with olive oil until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add asparagus pieces and season with salt and pepper, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and broth and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Place soup into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.