Have you heard of blender muffins? They were a pretty new concept to me, but ever since I came across them, I’ve been on a quest to create blender muffin recipes for all of my favorite muffin flavors–starting with these Gluten-Free Parsnip Morning Glory Blender Muffins! Morning Glory muffins are traditionally made with carrots, apples, walnuts and raisins and have a great texture and flavor. These parsnip muffins are a loose take on Morning Glory, but definitely bring similar flavors to the party.
The thing about blender muffins that really stole my heart is that they are lower in refined sugar than regular muffins. I used raw honey in this recipe, but you can use pure maple syrup to make them vegan. Blender muffins are often gluten-free because the base of the muffins are old-fashioned rolled oats. If you source certified gluten-free oats, you are going to be left with a wholesome gluten-free muffin that makes a lovely balanced breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea.
There are a few different types of blender muffins out there. Some use bananas, nut butters, yogurt, and eggs as main ingredients. For these Coconut Parsnip Blender Muffins, I decided to make them dairy-free and egg-free to keep things simple. Pineapple and parsnip along with some raw honey give these muffins a nice amount of sweetness, without being overly sweet.
I am definitely a fan of parsnips. I always add them to soups anytime a soup calls for carrots. The flavor is slightly anise with a similar texture to carrots. They are also delicious roasted and their natural sweetness can enhance baked goods just like carrots. They are high in fiber and a good source of vitamin C and folate.
The coconut flakes and coconut oil add some healthy fat and some tropical additional flavor to these muffins. The texture of blender muffins is more dense than traditional muffins, but they are extremely moist and so easy to make! All of the ingredients get blended in a blender and poured into muffin tins before being baked. Be sure to allow the muffins to cool completely before enjoying.
Gluten-Free Parsnip Morning Glory Blender Muffins
- 3 cups rolled oats certified gluten-free if you need the muffins to be gluten-free
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsnip
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes plus more for topping
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin or sunflower seeds or a combination
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line the muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Place all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Pour the batter into prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle with additional coconut flakes. Bake for 25-28 minutes. Allow muffins to cool completely before serving.