After hunting down these 12 healthy make ahead breakfasts, we were inspired to create a breakfast treat that’s actually good for you! Use plain low-fat Greek yogurt and take advantage of cranberries and coconut for a protein-packed Greek yogurt parfait breakfast.
Breakfast parfaits are easy to make and delicious with fresh cranberries. This time of the year, fresh cranberries can be found in most grocery stores. Take advantage and pick up a few bags – they freeze beautifully!
Cranberry Greek Yogurt Parfait
Later in the year, when fresh cranberries are nowhere to be found, you can use dried cranberries or even flash frozen cranberries in the frozen foods section at your local grocery store. Prepare them the same way as fresh cranberries but reduce the brown sugar to 1/4 cup. Simmer until the cranberries begin to plump, remove them from the heat and let them cool.
Mix chopped almonds with organic unsweetened coconut flakes (if they’re big flakes, just chop them up a bit with a knife or in a food processor) with plain granola. Voila! This sweet and (slightly) tart breakfast parfait is festive and delicious.
Cranberry-coconut Greek Yogurt Parfaits
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Zest from 1 small orange
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed, omit or reduce for a more tart cranberry taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups granola plain
- 1/3 cup almonds chopped (or replace with your favorite nuts)
- 1/3 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes chopped a bit, as needed
- 24 ounces Greek vanilla yogurt low fat
- Add the cranberries, orange juice, zest, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to a pan over medium-high heat. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, just until the cranberries begin to pop open (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the cranberries from the heat, transfer them to a bowl and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the plain granola, chopped almonds, and coconut flakes. Set aside.
- Place the cranberry compote, granola mixture, and yogurt near your serving glasses (it’s fun to use clear, vertical glasses so you can see the colorful layers in the parfaits). Layer the ingredients starting with the yogurt, followed by some of the cranberry compote, and the granola. Continue to layer the ingredients, finishing with a spoonful of the compote.
- Serve immediately.
Photos by Natalia Vanthienen5