You know we’re suckers for healthy versions of holiday foods (see: our healthy Christmas brunch menu). Arie-Elle of Nourish & Inspire Me, an awesome wellness blog, happens to be as well! She’s been so kind as to share the Healthy Holiday Trifle recipe from her blog’s latest e-book with Hello Glow readers.
Arie-Elle’s trifle (she calls it a “Summer Trifle” since she’s Australian :) is a healthier remix of a family favorite; this and all the recipes in the Christmas-recipe e-book A Nourishing Christmas – The Sweet Edition, are dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and soy-free! A Nourishing Christmas also contains recipes for favorites like egg nog smoothies, gingerbread and cherry-chocolate cheesecake. Check out her Pantry Staples e-book, too—you can even bundle the books and get a discount. Says Arie-Elle:
Trifle is a traditional English/Australian dessert that my grandma has made at Christmas time since I was little. Unfortunately, my grandma (bless her heart) would use packet custard, sugary, jelly, processed sponge biscuits and cream. Although it tasted delicious, these ingredients don’t really fit in to my whole-food philosophy so I set out to create a whole food version of a trifle that was not only nourishing for the body but delicious! And oh boy, is it delicious!
As always with my recipes, I like to keep it simple, so I decided to make a raw custard out of cashew cream – and I think I prefer it to the real stuff! In place of the sponge biscuits I made a paleo-friendly coconut sponge cake out of coconut flour and eggs, which is so divine we had to stop ourselves from eating it all!
For the jelly I made a strawberry chia jam, which has the added benefits of omega-3-rich chia seeds. With the addition of fresh fruit and whipped coconut cream this dessert is close to one of my favourite recipes that I have created and I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do!
Healthy Holiday Trifle
- 2 cups cashews soaked
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 ⁄4 tsp nutmeg
Berry Chia Jelly:
- 2 pints organic strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- A squeeze of lemon
- 2 tsp honey or coconut syrup optional
- 1-2 tsp guar gum or xanthum gum
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
Whipped Coconut Cream:
- 2 cans of coconut cream left in the freezer for 30 mins or fridge overnight
- 1 tsp xanthum gum optional
- 4 small bananas or 2 large
- 1 pint raspberries & 1 cup cherries for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt coconut oil and set aside. Whisk your eggs until fluffly, add coconut nectar. In a seperate bowl add coconut flour, vanilla bean and baking powder and mix well. Now combine eggs into coconut flour and add melted cocnout oil. Mix well. in a round baking dish lined with baking paper, add your mixture and spread into edges and smooth top. Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cooked and golden. Set aside to cool before cutting the sponge horizontally into 2 thinner cakes.
- Be sure to use cashews that have been soaked for at least 2 hours. Add all cashew custard ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth. Set aside
- Remove the tops of your strawberries and add them and raspberries to the blender with lemon and honey if using. Blend until smooth. Transfer puree to a large jar and add chia seeds. You can also add a little guar/xanthum gum to thicken if desired. Stir well and allow to set for 30 mins in fridge.
- Spoon out the thicker portion of the cream that should have separated from the liquid in the fridge. Using an electric beater or whisk, whip the cream until it becomes thick. This can take 5-10 minutes, I like to add a little xanthum gum or tapioca powder to allow it to thicken quicker. if the cream gets too warm it will not thicken so if you need to, pop it back in the fridge for a little to cool.
- Add your cashew custard first, then a layer of coconut sponge, then berry chia jelly, cut up your bananas into discs and create a layer of bananas, add your whipped coconut cream and top with berries!