But if you can make a balanced bowl with protein, healthy fat, whole grains, and fresh produce for all those other meals, why not dessert too?
These Ricotta and Honey Roasted Plum Bowls with Crunchy Buckwheat are from the new cookbook Buddha Bowls by Kelli Foster. There’s an entire chapter of the book devoted to desserts, but this is definitely our absolute favorite and it proves that desserts can have just as much nutritional value as the other three meals of the day.
In this bowl, you’ll get:
- Protein, thanks to creamy ricotta, which has about 14 grams in a half cup serving
- Flavonoids, magnesium, and fiber from buckwheat
- Free-radical fighting, immunity-supporting antioxidants from fresh summer plums and honey
- Omega-3s thanks to the healthy fats in chopped walnuts and olive oil
Over on Hello Veggie, we shared a recipe for Cauliflower Falafel Power Bowls from Buddha Bowls that’s perfect for meal prep. With 100 nourishing, balanced recipes comprising of healthy carbs, protein, fresh produce, and homemade sauces, there’s something in this book for everyone looking to eat a little bit healthier.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Ricotta and Honey Roasted Plum Bowls with Crunchy Buckwheat
- Baking sheet
- 4 plums halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons 40 g honey, plus more for drizzling
- ¼ cup 40 g kasha buckwheat
- 2 cups 480 g ricotta
- Chopped walnuts
- Maldon sea salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
- Place the plums cut-side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oiland drizzle with the honey. Roast until tender and lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) oil in a skillet over medium heat untilshimmering. Add the buckwheat and cook, stirring frequently, until the buckwheat is crispy and toasted, 5 to 8 minutes. If it starts to brown too quickly or burn, lower the heat.
- To serve, divide the ricotta among bowls. Top with roasted plums, crispy buckwheat, and walnuts.Garnish with an extra drizzle of honey and olive oil and a pinch of Maldon salt, if desired.