Hydration isn’t all about the beverages. (Although infused water will certainly help you out in that department.) Eating foods that have higher water content—like romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers—is just as important to keep your cells and digestion functioning, and your skin glowing.
This satisfying summery salad has a slightly sweet, mango-based dressing and extra crunch thanks to cabbage, red peppers and pumpkin seeds (which also provide minerals and protein). Add berries, radishes, celery or melon for even more hydration benefits.
Hydrating Romaine Salad with Mango-Basil Dressing
Yield 2 servings
This hydrating salad has a slightly sweet dressing that's perfect for summer.
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Mango-Basil Dressing
- 1 cup fresh mango, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 5 to 6 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Add dressing ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth. Mix salad ingredients in a large bowl and divide into two smaller bowls. Top salads with dressing.
Photos by Ana Stanciu5