- 2-3 beets, depending on size
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tsp active dried yeast or 1/4 cup whey
- 2 quarts filtered water
- PREP THE INGREDIENTS
- Peel and chop beets into ½-inch pieces and place in a half-gallon jar.
- Add salt. whey/yeast and fill the jar with water, leaving 1 inch of space between the beets and the top of the jar. Cover the jar with a tight lid.
- CULTURE THE BEETS
- Store the beets at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved (about 2 to 5 days).
- If using a tight lid, slightly unscrew the lid daily to release excess pressure (do not remove the lid completely).
- Once the kvass is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to refrigerator.
- The kvass flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
- When the liquid in the kvass is close to empty, refill the jar and culture at room temperature again for a second, weaker batch.
Recipe by Hello Glow at https://helloglow.co/immunity-boosting-kvass/