Do you go apple picking? It’s one of my favorite fall traditions; we have an organic apple orchard an hour from our house and we try to get out there a few times each season. The result of all those trips to the apple orchard? So many apples!
Not that I’m complaining, because while apples might not be exotic or hip, they’re still my favorite fruit. But I’m always seeking out easy ways to use them up because one can only bake so many apple pies and loaves of apple bread.
These Kale, Apple and Avocado Wraps fit the bill. They are so simple to make, but the combination of ingredients is unexpected and different—who would think to combine apple and avocado? But it totally works. You get a bit of crunch and sweetness from the apples, paired with rich, creamy avocado and goat cheese.
Kale adds an earthy flavor that complements the flavor of fresh fall apples, not to mention a whole slew of nutrients. It’s high in calcium and vitamins A and C; the healthy fats in avocado help the body absorb these nutrients, so don’t skip it! If you’re not a fan of kale, try using baby spinach instead; spinach leaves don’t have to be massaged, so it saves you a step too.
Recipe and photo by Ana Stanciu
Kale, Apple and Avocado Wraps
- 2 cups kale leaves
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 red apple, cubed
- 2 ripe avocadoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tortillas
- Place the kale leaves in a bowl and massage them until their texture softens.
- Add the avocado, apples, lime juice, and olive oil and gently toss to combine.
- Spread the goat cheese onto the tortillas, then top with the kale salad. Wrap and refrigerate until you're ready for lunch or eat right away!