Insomnia is a total bummer. Is there anything more frustrating than feeling tired all day long, finally going to bed, and then suddenly finding yourself wide awake? It’s the worst! This adaptogenic Midnight Milk is made with a combination of ashwagandha, schisandra berries, and rose petals to help relax your mind and ease you into a restful sleep.
If mixing up a drink with all those ingredients every night sounds the opposite of relaxing to you, don’t worry: you only have to gather up all those ingredients once, to make a big batch of Midnight Milk powder which is then stirred into warm milk. Keep a jar in your medicine cabinet to keep on hand for whenever stress is keeping you up at night–one batch makes 60 servings of milk.
This recipe comes from Agatha Noveille’s The Complete Guide to Adaptogens. You’ve undoubtedly seen adaptogens everywhere lately–we have a primer here, but if you’re eager to learn more about how you can use these powerful medicinal herbs to better your health, you need this book in your life. Not only is it a great introduction to adaptogens, from healing mushrooms to antioxidant-packed berries, it’s also full of amazing recipes to help put all these ingredients to use.
Next week, we’ll be sharing another recipe from the book, but in the meantime, grab the Midnight Milk recipe below and purchase The Complete Guide to Adaptogens: From Ashwagandha to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs that Transfer and Heal on Amazon.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Excerpted from The Complete Guide to Adaptogens From Ashwaganda to Rhodiola, Medicinal Herbs That Transform and Heal by Agatha Noveille Copyright © 2018 Adams Media, a division of Simon and Schuster. Used by permission of the publisher. All rights reserved.
Midnight Milk Powder
- 1⁄4 cup powdered ashwagandha
- 1⁄4 cup powdered schisandra berries
- 1 cup powdered rose petals
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk or plant milk
- 1⁄4 - 1 teaspoon Midnight Milk Powder
- Honey, to taste
To make the powder:
- Blend together all the ingredients and store in an airtight container in the pantry until you are ready to use.
To make the milk:
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of milk until warm. Be careful not to scald or cook the milk.
- Pour the milk into a mug, and stir in 1⁄4 – 1 teaspoon of Midnight Milk Powder (as desired).
- Sweeten with a little honey, and drink in the evening or as part of a bedtime snack.