Meet Maria Schaefer, a full-time working mom who always manages to look chic and pulled together. Since I have no clue how this is done, I asked her to share her shopping secrets. Check out her key wardrobe pieces – some seriously good advice in there!
Major bonus: Henry is so lucky to have inherited some of her little man Carsten’s super stylin’ hand-me-downs!
Key pieces in your closet:
- A fuschia scarf that I wear year-round; my mom gave it to me because she thought I wore too much black.
- A practical baseball cap for those early morning errands and gym time.
- A selection of ballet flats.
- Different jean styles — skinny, wideleg, flared, bell bottoms, boyfriend. No mommy jeans and no jeggings.
- H&M; basic tees in gray, white and black — so versatile, especially with the scarf.
- Funky jackets which are my proxy for a sweatshirt.
- A selection of casual and comfy dresses perfect for travel, errands, picnics or a pick-me-up during those “I feel ______ <---- insert adjective: fat/frumpy/crappy" days. They're also perfect for hiding the post-baby bulge.
- And lastly, a wide selection of flip flops.
Color palette that you stick to: The neutrals like black, white, gray, and plum. Whenever I can, I spice it up with a splash of bright color with my belt, earrings, bangles, shoes and bags. I never carry black bags unless the occasion calls for it, and I only wear black shoes to work.
Final touches to complete your outfit: Anything with color to juice it up. I’m also in love with bracelets, bangles and cuffs lately.
Favorite places to shop: H&M;, Piperlime, Forever 21, Benetton, BCBG, Ann Taylor, Loft, NY & Company, Bebe, Banana Republic, and TJ Maxx
What you want to buy now for you and/or Carsten: For me…nothing really. I used to love to shop, but since having a child, I find that I’m always just buying things for him or my hubby whenever I’m out. For Carsten, I’d love to start getting him cute summer clothes but I can’t yet because he’s so tiny and can still wear his summer clothes from last year. In the meantime, on my list for him are a couple of dock shoes (those cute Sperry’s are to die for) and everything madras plaid and nautical striped.0