Everyone loves a dewy summer glow, but no one wants to look like an oil slick. That’s why it’s important to have an arsenal of mattifying products at the ready when hot weather hits. Start with a cleanser that dissolves sebum, apply a good primer and setting spray to keep your makeup from sliding off, and always carry blotting tissues in your purse for touchups throughout the day. Want to know our faves? Here they are:
1. bareMinerals Matte Foundation // Not only is this foundation great for oily skin, we love that it doubles as a sunscreen.
2. Sunday Riley Martian Mattifying Melting Water-Gel Toner A good toner can be your secret weapon in keeping your skin shine-free during the summer. Bonus: with bentonite clay, this one also reduces pore size.
3. IPKN Mattifying Gel Primer // So many primers rely on silicone to provide a smooth canvas for makeup application, but this Korean fave is free of silicone—and parabens, phthalates, and sulfates too. It also has ingredients to protect skin from oxidation and stress.
4. tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Pressed Powder // We love that this product is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates—and clay is great to mattify oily skin.
5. OLEHENRIKSEN Counter Balance Oil Control Hydrator // You might have oily skin, but that doesn’t mean you should skip the moisturizer. This one keeps excess oil in check.
6. Georgette Klinger Camphor Mask // Use a clay-based mask once or twice a week to give your pores a deep clean and soak up sebum. This one from cult favorite Georgette Klinger contains ingredients that boost circulation and calm the skin too.
7. Too Cool For School Dinoplatz Dear Brachiosaurus Blotting Paper // There are a lot of blotting papers on the market, but only one has dinosaurs on the packaging.
8. Nerd Clarifying Cleanser // Probiotic skincare products are great for balancing your skin’s natural biome—and when your skin is balanced, it doesn’t produce excess oil.
9. Helen Knows Best Refining Cleanser // AHA exfoliants help dissolve oxidized sebum, giving you a deep, gentle clean.
10. Farmacy Skin Dew Hydrating Essence Mist & Setting Spray // A lot of setting sprays are made with ingredients we try to avoid, but this one is free of parabens, sulfates, and phthalates and the refreshing scent is perfect for hot summer days.
11. Coola Mineral Face SPF 30 // A mineral sunscreen that won’t gunk up your pores!3