I love to include seasonal ingredients in my smoothies. If summer is all about pinks, purples and reds (from fresh berries and cherries), then autumn is all about orange. Sea buckthorn, oranges, sweet potatoes, persimmons, and—yes, the ultimate autumn symbol, the mighty pumpkin—all are full of vitamin C and beta-carotene, nourishing our bodies and preparing us for winter.
In autumn, pumpkin (and pumpkin spice) is everywhere. How about taking that fall favorite and turning it into a delicious, protein-packed healthy pumpkin pie smoothie? This one has a glorious color and incredible flavor—just like having dessert for breakfast!
This recipe uses milk from pumpkin seeds, which are packed with minerals like magnesium, zinc and manganese; they also provide high-quality protein, which is great any time but especially after a workout or for breakfast.
- Pumpkin seeds – a good source of antioxidants, minerals and proteins
- Hemp seeds – packed with essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6) but also a quality protein source
- Bee pollen – a real superfood with more protein than any animal source
- Pumpkin – rich in beta-carotene, which our body turns into vitamin A, responsible for glowing skin
To assure the proper intake of beta-carotene from pumpkin, you should combine it with healthy fats like nuts, seeds or coconut oil; this smoothie has two of those!
Protein Power Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
A pumpkin spice smoothie packed with protein, perfect after a workout but also as a healthy dessert or breakfast.
- 1 cup pumpkin, pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon organic raw honey
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 small piece of chocolate
- Place hemp and pumpkin seeds in the blender, add water and process to make a creamy milk.
- Add the pureed pumpkin, pollen, spices and honey, and blend for 1 minute, until you obtain a smooth liquid.
- Pour in serving glasses, top with pollen granules and chocolate flakes.
- Drink right away to get the maximum benefit from the nutrients.