After all that heavy holiday eating, one of the best things you can to get your body back on track is start the day off with the right breakfast. A protein-filled quinoa granola combined with the probiotics in low-fat yogurt is the perfect way to beat the bloat.
Lately, I have been substituting the oat base of my granola for crispy, golden quinoa, and I am LOVING it! Did you know that quinoa could be baked up into a perfectly crispy little treat? I like to eat it sprinkled over yogurt or by itself as a scrumptious crunchy little snack. It tastes great, fills me up and is good for me too. You can’t beat that trifecta!
Cranberry, Pistachio, Quinoa Granola
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed well to remove bitterness and well-drained
- 1/4 cup slivered raw almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine the quinoa, almonds, pistachios,and flax seeds; stir well. Heat the maple syrup and the coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl on high for 20 seconds. Stir in the cinnamon, and salt then pour the wet ingredients over the dry and toss to coat.
- Spread the quinoa mixture in a thin layer overthe prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice during the cook time. Add the chopped cranberries during the last 5 minutes of cook time.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet, as it cools the granola will harden and begin to clump together. When cooled break up any large pieces of granola into small clusters and store for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Photos by Natalia Vanthienen6