Hands down, this is my favorite salad. It requires no cooking, comes together in 5 minutes and always manages to look impressive. If you need a go-to recipe for summer entertaining, this is it. You’ll never have to worry about leftovers.
When we planted tomato and basil a few weeks back, this was the salad I was dreaming of. The plants haven’t grown much yet – have I killed a plant that’s guaranteed to grow? How embarrassing would that be?!
Basil is an ‘easy’ plant that likes full sun and normal watering. I’m wondering if I should have put it directly in the ground instead of planting in a pot? Hmm. Maybe I’ll move it when I plant the rest of my cocktail garden. ;)
This is one of the few dishes that doesn’t make me nervous. You know how with most recipes (for us non foodies) you’re paranoid about adding too much salt or forgetting to preheat something? With this you don’t have to worry – you can’t go wrong. So don’t get out the measuring spoons, just wing it. And it will all be good.
Tomato, Basil + Mozzarella Caprese Salad
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- A big ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- Handful of fresh basil
- Olive oil
- Balsamic dressing
- Kosher salt
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Alternate slices on a nice, big plate, overlapping each one slightly. You can add big leaves of basil in there as well.
- Sprinkle with salt. I like to let it sit for a bit with just the salt on there, if possible, to let things get juicy.
- With your hands, tear up a few leaves of basil and spread across the top.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic on top.
What is your favorite summer salad?
Photos by Lindsey Johnson0