This is the perfect winter drink when you’re looking for a change from Irish coffees and boozy hot chocolates—it’s refreshing, but still takes the chill out of your bones. The whiskey and citrus are reminiscent of a comforting Old Fashioned, but the rosé and sparkling water make it light and bright. Great for when you can’t decide between whiskey and wine.
You can purchase good-quality rose syrup, or make it yourself using food-grade rosewater and/or organic rose petals. If you want a slightly less acidic cocktail, use a couple small segments of grapefruit peel rather than the slices for the garnish. The peel will impart the oils of the fruit without adding to the drink’s acidity.
Photos by Ana Stanciu
Rose + Rosé Bourbon Cocktail
- 2 ounces whiskey (we used Jack Daniels Single Barrel)
- 3 ounces rosé wine
- 1 teaspoon rose syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- Sparkling water to taste
- Grapefruit slices or peel, for garnish
- Mix the ingredients (except for garnish) and pour over ice in a lowball glass.
- Top with a couple ounces sparkling water, and add grapefruit slices or peel to the glass.