Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili
- 1 pound dry black beans picked over and rinsed well
- 1 quart low-salt or unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 poblano chile peppers seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno minced (remove seeds and ribs for milder flavor)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sea salt to taste
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Cornmeal Waffles recipe follows
- Toppings: shredded lettuce shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, cilantro
- Place black beans into a slow cooker. Add the onion, poblano chiles, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Stir to combine. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add the diced tomatoes, lime juice, honey, and sea salt and stir well. Place lid back on slow cooker and cook for another 1-2 hours on HIGH to allow flavors to blend.
- To serve, place a cornmeal waffle onto a plate and top with a about 3/4 cup of the chili and top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.