The other day I was having lunch with a friend and could not resist trying the restaurant’s summery fruit sangria drink special. Sangria in the middle of the day? Well, if it’s for blog research then it must be done! It’s tough sometimes, this job. :)
Sangria is just about my favorite cocktail. Fruit, juice and wine all mixed into one tasty beverage – how could you go wrong? Well, I learned last night that it’s possible! I went back to the same restaurant and tried their latest sangria special and it was awful. Weird.
But sangria, I still love you! Last year I made 3 different versions and it turned out to be the perfect excuse for inviting friends for an impromptu dinner party. Sangria is the perfect party concoction because you can make it ahead, and it tastes even better the next day. So I experimented to recreate the tropical fruit sangria, and it was a hit!
If you love pineapple, try this chia fresca or a beat-the-bloat smoothie. Pineapple and other tropical fruits are also fun to add to your beauty routine. They make excellent age spot face masks and gentle body scrubs. The bromelain in pineapple aids in digestion while acting as an exfoliant when used on the skin. Perfect for beauty inside and out.
Have you tried any yummy drink specials lately? Share your favorite summer drink!
Tropical Fruit Summer Sangria
- 6 cups assorted fruit mango, pineapple, cantaloupe and apricot
- 1/4 cup peeled thinly sliced ginger
- 1-1 1/2 cups fresh mint
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 cup orange flavored liqueur
- 1 bottle chilled dry white wine - I always ask for a recommendation at the wine store because they can usually steer you to an inexpensive bottle that will work well in sangria.
- Combine everything but the wine in a large pitcher. Gently mash the ingredients together using a wooden spoon.
- Once the fruit has released some of its juice, add the wine.
- Give it a stir and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve over lots of ice with a mint garnish.