I like to take time enjoying my breakfasts, but when I’m in a hurry I turn to quick smoothies and toasts. It’s very easy to throw a bit of cheese, butter and ham in your toastie, but if you want to put together a really nourishing and detoxifying breakfast on the run, these 3 ingredients are just what the body needs:
1. Ripe avocado gives you a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats to feed your body’s cell membranes, along with providing essential minerals like magnesium, which regulates the healthy exchanges of nutrients within the cell. More awesomeness about ripe avocado? Its fats act as a catalyst for the absorption of antioxidants. Win-win!
2. Free-range eggs contain all the nutrients your body needs to kick-start the day, especially protein, antioxidants, vitamin D and vitamin B-12. It’s one of the most complete foods and pairs well with avocado and bread.
3. Good quality bread – your toast provides your body its nutritional needs when it’s made from whole ingredients. A whole wheat or rye toast, or a good quality gluten-free one (buckwheat is a great choice), will give your digestive system a good dose of fiber and minerals to help it eliminate the toxins and make a good cleanse first thing in the morning.
And when I really want to get my breakfast toast to the next level, I make a superfood tapenade to give it a taste twist and an extra detox boost. It is very easy to make and you can prepare in batches and keep in the refrigerator.
Superfood Kale Tapenade, Avocado and Egg Toast
- 2 free range eggs poached
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and cut into slices
- 2 tsp tahini
- 2 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp superfood tapenade
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Good quality whole wheat or gluten-free toast to assemble
For the tapenade
- 1 cup fresh kale leaves
- 1/2 cup green pitted olives
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch sea salt
- Drizzle the toasts with tahini sauce, then add the avocado slices and top with the poached egg.
- Place the tapenade ingredients into the blender, pulse twice, then transfer into an airtight jar.
- Add a tablespoon of superfood tapenade on top of the toast, garnish with pumpkin and chia seeds, then serve.