This delicious soup from vegan chef Veronica Stenberg checks all the necessary boxes on a chilly October afternoon – it’s full of fresh, seasonal vegetables; it’s creamy and delicious; and its fragrance will fill your home, drawing everyone out from under the blankets. Even if you’re not vegan, you’ll love Stenberg’s vegan Butternut Squash Soup, which gets its creamy texture from coconut milk.
Want to try more tasty vegan recipes? Stenberg’s gorgeous blog Elegantly Vegan is filled with healthy vegan recipes for every occasion, from Sunday brunch to hearty salads
Creamy Vegan Butternut Soup with Lime + Coconut Milk
- 28 ounces butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped
- 1 red onion
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 chili fruit
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- olive oil to fry in
- Slice the butternut into equally thick slices and brush with olive oil. Place on an oven tray with baking paper.
- Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees F, the butternut should be soft throughout.
- Let the butternut cool off then remove the skin.
- Heat up olive oil in a pot, fry garlic, red onion and finely chopped chili on medium heat.
- Add the cayenne pepper and vegetable stock. Pour in half of the coconut milk, and add the butternut, whisk around and mash the butternut gently in with the coconut milk. Then pour in the rest of the coconut milk and add lime juice.
- Raise the heat of the plate and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Chop the coriander and add to the soup, cook on low heat for about 10 minutes under a lid.
- For a smooth texture, mix your soup with a hand blender. Serve immediately and garnish with extra coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Elegantly Vegan by Veronica Stenberg 2014 © www.elegantlyvegan.com Reprinted with author permission.1