Raise your hand if you love the holidays more than you love coffee, naps and pedicures combined. Me too. But why is it that gift giving always seems so… daunting? I’m the first to admit that I can be a little overzealous when it comes to choosing the perfect gift, often at the expense of more important things like sleep and my sanity. But with age comes wisdom and I have started to embrace the art of giving simpler gifts. Gifts that are homemade and thoughtful with a personal touch. And that’s why I love food gifts.
While giving cookie mix in a jar isn’t a new idea by any means, there’s a reason it keeps popping up all over the place. Not only are they easy to put together, fun to make and pretty to look at, but they’re delicious.
Here is my favorite vegan cookie recipe, all wrapped up in a pretty jar perfect for holiday gift giving. A step up from plain chocolate chip cookies, these cookies are more like soft, chewy brownies loaded with chocolate chips. And because the holidays can be hard enough on your diet as it is, these are also vegan and refined sugar free so there’s one less thing to worry about.
When it’s time to add the wet ingredients, I love using Silk Unsweetened Almondmilk in my cookies because its mild flavor blends well with the other ingredients without being overpowering. It’s also thicker and creamier than some other dairy substitutes so it’s easier to get that velvety texture you want in a cookie dough. And without the added sugar, you don’t need to worry about your cookies turning out a lot sweeter than you expected.
The beauty of giving cookie mix in a jar is that it takes the hard work out of making cookies. Forget having to get several bowls dirty while you cream the butter and sugar and mix the dry ingredients. Simply whisk all the wet ingredients together before slowly pouring in the dry ingredients straight from the jar. Give it a good stir and then bake. It’s a one-bowl recipe that everyone will love giving and receiving.
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield 1 jar
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cups raw cane sugar
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Combine the flour, salt, flax seeds and baking soda in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture into the bottom of a large glass jar and pack it down with the back of a spoon.
- Layer in the cocoa powder, sugar and chocolate chips, being sure to pack each layer with the back of a spoon before adding the next layer.
- Attach the following recipe prior to giving your gift: Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium sized bowl, combine ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil, ¼ cup Silk Almondmilk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk well. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients and use a fork to combine everything. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them onto a lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.