We have a thing for salads around here, in case you couldn’t tell. During the summer months, dinner at our home means salad or something grilled. Sometimes both. I love a good, hearty salad to fill me up after a long day of work (or swimming) because it’s incredibly filling without requiring me slave away over a hot stove. This is a vegan, Southwest and salad take on a classic BLT sandwich. Instead of bacon, I used coconut bacon, which is pretty amazing. If you’re not vegan, by all means use the real thing. I just think this adds a little something unexpected and special to the salad. The dressing is also dairy-free, vegan and 100% amazing!
Southwest BLT Salad With Zesty Lime Dressing
This salad goes a long way towards fitting in all those veggies and good fats we need in our day. The dressing really is delicious. It’s made with a cashew cream base with chili powder, cumin, and plenty of fresh lime juice. I served some spicy homemade salsa on the side, too, because salsa! :) I think a good salad has to have a balance of flavors and textures, and this salad has just that – crunchy, creamy, sweet, spicy and savory. It would be a great salad to take to a summer BBQ or for a luncheon with the girls.
As always, feel free to swap out any of the ingredients and use whatever you have on hand. The beauty of salads is that the ingredients aren’t set in stone and they’re a great way to use up veggies that are a little past their prime (much like soup, only for hot weather). Bell peppers, corn chips, guacamole, steak and cheese (assuming you’re not vegan) would work well here, but it’s completely up to you! I always encourage you to mix and match ingredients until you come up with something you like.
Vegan Southwest BLT Salad with Zesty Lime Dressing
- One 5 ounce package baby lettuce mix
- 1/2 cup regular or coconut bacon
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced or minced, optional
- For garnish: tortilla strips fresh cilantro
For zesty lime dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare dressing: Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Add a little more water, if necessary, to reach the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble salads: Divide the baby lettuce mix between six large dinner plates, or in a very large, shallow bowl. Top with the remaining ingredients. Serve with the dressing on the side.