Ah, dinner planning. When the 5pm ‘what’s for dinner’ panic arrives I often spend whole minutes staring into the fridge, hoping a meal will miraculously appear. If you’re tired of takeout, PB&J and boring, bland chicken, you’ll love this new series on Hello Glow – a weekly meal planning post from our favorite food bloggers with fast and delicious recipes. To make things even easier, we’ve created a downloadable shopping list. Let me know if you like it. Enjoy!
By Food Contributor Allison Ruth of Some the Wiser
I always find it helpful to plan out a menu for the week, but this time of year it’s more than just helpful – it’s necessary! With busy school days and hectic holidays filling the next two months, having a meal plan and shopping list for the week keeps me sane. Figuring out what’s for dinner is one thing that can easily be crossed off the to do list each day.
This week’s meal plan was created with chilly autumn evenings in mind. Each recipe emphasizes warmth and comfort, as well as ease and simplicity. And they also make use of the delicious seasonal vegetables so abundant this time of year. At my house, Friday night is pizza night, which I look forward to because pizza is simple, quick, and always a crowdpleaser. With a store-bought pizza dough (I like Trader Joe’s) and a rotisserie chicken, this Winter Veggie Pizza with Chicken can be ready in less than an hour! It’s a healthy, delicious way to end a busy week.
Winter Vegetable Pizza with Chicken
- Your favorite pizza dough
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, washed and diced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10-ounce package of goat cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup cooked chicken, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Spread sweet potatoes, onions, potatoes, parsnip, and garlic on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Place on middle rack of preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In a medium bowl, combine softened goat cheese, parmesan, dried rosemary, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stretch dough to fit a 15 inch pizza pan, or into a 15 inch round circle if you are using a heated pizza stone. Parbake dough for 3 to 5 minutes, if desired.
- Spread goat cheese mixture evenly over the pizza crust, leaving a one inch border around the edges. Top with roasted veggies and chopped chicken. Sprinkle grated mozzarella evenly over the top of the pizza. Top with fresh rosemary. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
5 Day Meal Plan
Black Bean Burritos (via Simple Bites)
I like to keep it meatless on Monday. I also like to keep it extra simple at the beginning of the week – Monday is challenging enough! These simple, vegetarian black bean burritos are extra filling and extra easy. Cook up a double pot of rice to serve them with and save a little extra for Tuesday’s dinner too.
Honey Mustard Baked Chicken (via Good Life Eats)
This has become a family favorite at my house. It is filling and delicious, but only takes just minutes of preparation in the kitchen – a perfect weeknight meal! Serve it with some of the left over rice from Monday night and a side of steamed broccoli.
Lemon Cream Linguine with Roasted Brussel Sprouts (via Some the Wiser)
Pasta is always my simple go-to meal when I can’t think of anything else for dinner. It’s nice to have pasta on the menu, at least once a week, because it is such no-brainer. Tossed with bacon and roasted Brussel sprouts, this linguine will become a fast favorite.
Chicken Soup with Rice (via Some the Wiser)
Winter Veggie Pizza with Chicken (recipe above) via Hello Glow
To save you even more time, download our Grocery Shopping List.
Download the Shopping List, print and head to your local grocery store and dinner is done!0