Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Pistachio Gremolata
Tender, juicy grilled chicken topped with a fresh, vibrant pistachio and herb sauce that will knock your socks off.
Prep Time1 hr 30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time2 hrs 50 mins
Servings: 6 servings
For chicken kebabs:
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon culinary grade lavender buds optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For Pistachio Gremolata:
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Wonderful Pistachios No Shells finely chopped
- Zest of 2 medium lemons finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1-2 teaspoons culinary grade lavender buds optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
Place chicken cubes in a casserole dish or large bowl.
Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, and remaining marinade ingredients. Whisk well to combine. Pour over chicken. Toss so chicken is completely coated. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least one hour or overnight.
To make gremolata, combine parsley, pistachios, lemon zest, garlic, lavender (if using), salt, and pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the olive oil and stir well. If needed, add the remaining olive oil. The gremolata should be spoonable and not too "dry." Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To grill kebabs, prepare outdoor grill for direct heat on one side and indirect heat on other side; or have a grill pan ready to preheat if using stovetop. Thread the chicken cubes onto metal or pre-soaked bamboo skewers. (If using cooking indoors, preheat grill pan now.)
Arrange skewers over direct heat side of grill and cook for 3-4 minutes; turn over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then move to indirect heat to continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes. (Using the indirect heat side prevents the chicken from burning on the outside before the inside is cooked properly.)
Transfer chicken kebabs to a serving platter. Drizzle some of the gremolata over the kebabs. Serve remaining sauce on the side.